Tuesday 1 May 2012

Of Macarons & My New Toy

On Friday of last week, I found out that I passed my final medical school exams. It was such a huge relief, though I'm not sure that it has entirely sunken in yet. I still have six more weeks of shadowing to do and I have to graduate in July, but I am pretty much done, which feels amazing. As you can probably imagine, I'm feeling a little bit pleased with myself and so I decided that I deserve a treat. I have been dreaming of and saving up for a better camera for years, thinking that the end of university would be a good milestone at which to buy one. I am very excited to say that I have done it - I have bought myself a Canon 60D and a fancy lens. I was like a child in a sweetshop, whilst buying it; uttering little outbursts of glee every few seconds. The magnitude of my excitement, however, was only realised about fifteen minutes later when I stopped in my tracks and burst into tears; much to the amusement of the ginge, who is quite used to my tearful explosions of emotion. We both stood and laughed; me with tears included, the Ginge without, until I regained sensibility and we went off to celebrate with a warm cup of tea. The next day, it poured with rain, so I didn't manage to get out and take any photos. I did however have my first successful attempt at making macarons and I managed to take a few snaps of them. I was really pleased with how straightforward the recipe was, even the italian meringue buttercream, which is completely delicious. I made vanilla cases filled with either raspberry, chocolate or coffee buttercream. They are all delicious, but the chocolate is particularly good. I would thoroughly recommend this recipe (thank you so much to Tori for the recommendation). Here are a few photos of my exploits, taken with my new baby. Can't wait to take and show you more - hooray! 

16 comments:

  1. You'll be addicted to that camera! So glad you're enjoying it, those macaroons look delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally addicted - I need more time to use it and try new things though! Xx

      Delete
  2. Firstly - BIG congratulations. You have been on a huge course and should be proud of yourself. Secondly those macaroooons look fab. A stunning combo of your cooking skills & that lens has created some beautiful photos x

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! JEALOUS of that camera... but you soooo deserve it! Congratulations lovely! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely Lou! I totally endorse the purchasing of this camera - do it! Xx

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! Your macarons look the picture of elegance. I thought you'd mispelt them but on further investigation I discovered the difference between macarons and macaroons. Now I know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got confused about the macaroon/macaron difference for a while, but now know that it is a very important one! Xx

      Delete
  5. Oh Naomi, I'm so happy for you! Very well done with passing all your exams and all that hard work. And the macarons look amazing - I've never eaten one before so I'd better get cooking! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! Get cooking - the recipe is dead simple and super tasty! Xx

      Delete
  6. Massive congratulations on your course - and how nice that every time you use your camera you'll think of it! And secondly - yours look better than mine.... I'm pleased the recipe worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tori! You're right, it is so nice to associate the two things together. Mine definitely don't look better than yours though. In fact, I was thinking the exact opposite. I loved the way you painted the colour on yours! Thanks again for the recipe. Xxx

      Delete
  7. Yay! Huge Congratulations! And what a great way to celebrate - you so deserve it. The pictures have come out brilliantly, as have the macarons. I can't wait to see even more stunning pictures on your blog. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. All of these comments have been overwhelming! Xx

      Delete
  8. First attempt, so impressed! D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! Thanks, Dawn. I couldn't believe how well they came out - I owe that entirely to the recipe! Xx

      Delete

I love to read your comments & hope you have a lovely day!