Saturday 8 October 2011

Bedroom Loveliness

We have finally (almost) finished our new bedroom and are feeling very pleased with ourselves. It used to be the spare room, painted sky blue with a dark blue scratchy carpet and garish curtains you would be unsurprised to see in a school library. Now, it is soft white with beautiful honey-coloured floorboards and gentle french-blue floral voile at the window. It doesn't look it, but the whole thing was remarkably unplanned, apart from the colours of the walls and floor, which were heavily scrutinised by me. We stumbled upon the wardrobe, chest of drawers and schoolboy's suitcase on a beautiful antique shop adventure; falling in love with them on the spot and buying them in a moment of caprice. The large travelling trunk once belonged to the Ginge's Grandfather, was passed on to his mother and has now come to us. It is waiting to be lined with some new ticking fabric, but that is a project for another day. The voile at the window was found in my parents' garage, in a box of odds and ends from a friend's old shop. Finally, the most recent acquisition was our bedding, which was bought for us by my overly generous Grandmother as a very early Christmas present. I must admit that after looking around most of the shop with lots of 'hmm, I'm not sures' and 'I like it, buts', I was concerned that the Ginge and I might not find something on which we could both agree. Happily though, we found this lovely, bluey-grey-striped number with matching floral pillow cases. It is boyishly feminine and pulls everything in the room together, as if it were all painstakingly pre-meditated. Isn't it funny how these things happen? The room has such a peaceful atmosphere and I am sure I sleep better in there than our old room. It is definitely a sanctuary for the ends of busy days and weekend lie-ins. Now we just need to get some stuff on the walls.  

2 comments:

I love to read your comments & hope you have a lovely day!